MIAMI (AP)The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday. About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night’s contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python. Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff’s Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death. “Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. “Some people do have allergies to roaches,” he said, “but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects.”


I believe this is what they call “going out on top.”  Leaving the game at the pinnacle of your career.  Like the Barry Sanders of the live roach/worms/reptile eating contest.  I mean I honestly can’t imagine this guy is mad that he died.  Got to be up in Heaven somewhere just floating on a cloud with a halo on his head and big smile on his face chowing down on a lizard salad.  Bragging to all his buddies yup that’s me they’re talking about down there, see those ambulances next to the snake and chameleon cages?  That’s where I took down the trophy for Live Bugs and Worms eating contest.  See here’s my python. Kind of a beautiful thing when you think about it.